The SuperTeeJ Motto

"In brightest day, in blackest night...", TeeJ will help others with all his might. And let those who CHOOSE to do what's right, be filled with success, and quite a sight.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 66 - Great Lessons Learned

Day 66 - Great Lessons Learned

While attending college, I was fortunate enough to participate and practice Tae Kwon-Do through the Oldest Collegiate Traditional Tae Kwon-Do Program in America, the UNI Tae Kwon-Do Club.  It was there that I earned my 2nd degree Black Belt under Jr. Grand Master Joseph Philip, an 8th Dan instructor and the first non-Asian to named a Grand Master.  When I tell people that I earned my 2nd Dan, I think they are baffled.

"Really?!  But you don't beat up on people."

You're right!  Because that's not what Tae Kwon-Do is all about.  Tae Kwon-Do is a way of life and it is based on the values of courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit.  This 2,500+ year-old martial art form teaches discipline and respect for one's self and others.

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I was a pretty rambunctious kid.  I wasn't well-behaved, didn't concentrate in school very well, and was pretty hard on myself.  I was fortunate to have a mother who recognized this and thought Tae Kwon-Do might be something I would benefit from.  So, she put me in Tae Kwon-Do and I started learning things.  I don't really recall the adjustment that was made, but  my mother always says how much of an impact it had on my upbringing.  I practiced Tae Kwon-Do for about a year, then my mother and I moved to Exira, IA where there were no practicing organizations.

Tae Kwon-Do would find me again in 7th grade.  We had just moved to Eldora, IA and I was struggling to get acquainted with the area.  I had very few friends at the time.  I was overweight for my age and I lacked self-confidence because of my social surroundings (I can honestly say that 7th grade was my worst academic year ever).  However, I was fortunate to have found a Tae Kwon-Do organization in the area that allowed me to practice the martial art form once or twice a week.  Tae Kwon-Do brought me through that year.  I looked forward to practicing on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and was really starting to work my way up.  Not more than a year later, the organization closed.  I was bummed, but I started getting involved in sports, and things took a turn for me socially.  I got connected to some great friends.

Tae Kwon-Do came back into my life once again when I attended UNI.  I became highly involved in the organization, attending tournaments, and working my way up the ranking system.  I can honestly say that I have learned a great deal through the art form throughout my life, but it was my involvement in college that truly impacted me.  

There was always a challenge and a thrill in Tae Kwon-Do.  I was excited and nervous all at the same time throughout practices, testings, and tournaments.  And that's what life is all about.  It's exciting and nerve-racking all at the same time.  As I grow older, I have come to appreciate the symbol within the South Korean flag.  A Yin Yang.  There truly is good and bad in this world.  There's good news and bad news.  There's good times and bad times.  There's good guys and bad guys.  But we learn through both experiences.  We grow from experiencing both the good and bad.  

Even though I have been in and out of the art form throughout my lifetime, I truly believe Tae Kwon-Do has shaped my life in many ways.  Not to brag, but I do carry with me a great deal of courtesy, self-control, and perseverance.  I do think I am compassionate and I show a great deal of respect for others (even when they sometimes don't deserve it).  These characteristics and qualities have made me a loving and hard-working human being and I feel very fortunate to have been connected to the art form.  I have my mother to thank for that.  :)

So there you have it.  These were some great lessons learned.  Check out the UNI Tae Kwon-Do Club at www.unitkd.com.  Our KwanJangNim has promoted 737 Black Belts since starting the organization 45 years ago.  He's one incredible man.  And below, a few pictures of me participating in the organization back in college.



 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud that you continued to move up through the ranks. That you used the time in college to accomplish this goal that was important to you. Keep moving forward.Remember Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I too am glad I got the opportunity to move up in the ranks. Thanks for providing me with such an outstanding opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete