The SuperTeeJ Motto

"In brightest day, in blackest night...", TeeJ will help others with all his might. And let those who CHOOSE to do what's right, be filled with success, and quite a sight.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Day 14 - Where Have You Traveled?

Day 14 - Where Have You Traveled?

Most of the major trips I have taken were with the UNI Men's Glee Club.  I got the opportunity to travel with the group three different times to eight different countries.

The first trip I took with the Men's Glee Club was to Germany, Austria, and Italy.  It had been my first time out of the country and we got the chance to sing during Mass at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.  That was an experience unlike any other.  When we finished Ave Maria, the congregation applauded; an incredible feat in the world's largest church.  Not only that, but as we departed, we ran into a little old Italian lady who said to us in Italian: 

"Everyday I am a poor woman, but today I'm rich for hearing you sing."

And that's why I loved my trips with the Men's Glee Club.  It wasn't about us just seeing the sights.  It was about sharing our gifts with the people of Europe.  Here are a couple pictures from my trip:


The Colosseum - Rome, Italy


Swarovski Crystal Factory - Innsbruck, Austria


The Swiss Alps - Near Innsbruck, Austria


On the overnight train to Rome


Salzburg, Austria


Just some schmuck standing in front of a shop in Salzburg


St. Peter's Basilica - Rome, Italy

My next trip with the UNI Men's Glee Club was to Ireland, Wales, and England.  Here we had the opportunity to stay in a castle for a couple nights, as well as Oxford University.  I was fortunate enough to witness some of the locations where Harry Potter was filmed (books I'm currently reading through right now - I'm on book five, The Order of the Phoenix.  :)  Here are a couple photos from that trip:


Paul Marlow looking in awe of the Oxford University Architecture


Having a seat near one of the hallways where Harry Potter had been filmed


Striking a ridiculous pose in Dublin, Ireland


Frederico Silva standing in one of the tunnels leading to the Dungeon of Ruthin Castle - Ruthin, Wales


Enjoying a Superman comic on the ferry ride across the Irish Sea

My final trip with the Men's Glee Club was to Poland and Czech Republic.  This was an unforgettable experience as well a trip that was actually free for me to attend given the number of tickets I sold for the Christmas Variety shows the two years leading up to the excursion.  On this trip, we made the difficult trip to Auschwitz.  I'll never forget humming Ave Maria within the walls of the firing range...


Me and the boys in Prague, Czech Republic


The Rudolfinum - Prague, Czech Republic


 Krakow, Poland


Auschwitz Concentration Camp - Oswiecim, Poland

 

Firing Range of Auschwitz Concentration Camp


Me and the UNI freshmen


Alums of the group that I traveled with on all three trips - Steve Heinle and Kevin Graves

So those were my major travels.  I've also been to Jamaica with my beautiful bride and Cancun, Mexico with my bride and her family.  I have taken many road trips with my brother-in-law and buddies from high school (Alan, James, Michael, and Chris) as well.  Below are a few pictures from those adventures.  :)


Sipping coconut milk on the beach - Jamaica


A night out in Jamaica


Striking a pose on the beach - Jamaica


Swimming with the Dolphins - Cancun, Mexico


The dolphin toe push - Cancun, Mexico


Can you tell it was winter in Iowa? - Cancun, Mexico


This picture was taken just before learning how to salsa dance - Cancun, Mexico


Our first road trip to Colorado - 2004


We thought we could hike 26 miles in a day - We actually hiked only 9


Our second trip to Colorado


On top of Mt. Massive - 14,421 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment